Thursday, April 21, 2011

The NUK

One of the best parts of being pregnant for the first time is registering for all the items you & baby will need.  When I decided to finally tackle this milestone I took it pretty seriously.  I asked questions in online forums, asked my mom friends, read magazines and books.  What was the best, the safest, the easiest?  I took my best friend with me to register instead of my husband.  She was a new mom herself and was able to help me navigate the aisles of the store.  Plus my husband really had no interest in registering.  I found that out when we were registering for our wedding shower after he sighed loudly for the fifth time and asked if we could just do this online? 

As my friend & I approached the bottle wall I felt confident.  I had researched!  I knew which bottle I was going to add to our list.  I registered for the 4 oz and the 9 oz bottles and the extra nipples in the different flow types.  No need for explanation there, I was confident with the bottle choices.

At my showers I received said bottles which I promptly took home and sterilized.  I cleared out a spot in our kitchen cabinet to store all of these bottles all the while dreaming of the sweet feeding times I'd share with my child any day now.

Sometime later, after my son was born and we returned home from the hospital, after I admitted defeat in the quest to breastfeed (my supply was nil) I reached into the cabinet and pulled out a bottle.  I carefully filled it with water to the correct oz level, added my formula and stirred it together.  Finding a comfy spot on the couch with my son I tilted the bottle to his mouth and was horrified to see formula leaking out.  That stuff isn't cheap!

I had to interrupt his feeding time much to his dismay (and mine as my eardrums were being pierced with hungry screams) to wipe up the mess and attempt to figure out why the bottle was leaking.  After a few different attempts to screw the top on differently I was finally able to feed him - minus the formula I had lost.  This would happen on and off for the next few weeks.  As you can imagine it made the middle of the night feedings all that much more fun. 

Then through the mail one day I found out I had won a newborn NUK bottle set.  I sanitized them and brought them out for the next feeding.  My son & I both fell in love with them right away. 



I have yet to have a single leak from their bottles in any feeding and they have this wonderful NUK® Air System that vents the bottle and reduces colic.  My son was very gassy with the other bottles and you could hear him gulping down air with each suck.  The nipple also allows him to latch on better whereas with the prior bottles he made a smacking noise with each motion.  Their orthondontic nipples promote healthy teeth formation and are shaped like mother's breast during feeding which makes them ideal for breastfeeding moms who switch from breast to bottle and back again. 

I love them so much I ran out and bought more.  My best advice for moms registering for bottles - register for a few and see which one works best for you and your child.  I am now stuck with a ton of bottles I probably won't use and am replacing them with the NUK collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment